Balance- tipping the scale

Write. Share. Give.




Thanks to Two Writing Teachers for hosting the month long Slice of Life writing challenge.  I'll be writing here this month about kindness and other things.

Who can find balance in the crazy teaching world we live in? Trying to balance home/school/personal life is the most challenging and the most complained about thing that my teacher friends and I deal with. If we put all of our effort into teaching then our home/personal life gets neglected.  If we go away for the weekend we feel guilty that we didn't do school work.

I can't find a balance between all of the things I'm required to do so tonight I went heavy on the me time. I unexpectedly got a hair cut, took a long walk, talked to a good friend on the phone for an hour and now I'm about to make my favorite juice.  I'll be better and healthier because of it.  I won't have those writing assessments required by the district graded again but my hair looks cute.

How do you try to keep balance in your life?

Today I experienced amazing kindness from the girl who cut my hair.  For the last 15 years or so my sister has been my stylist (she's a professional don't worry). My sister recently had surgery so she's out of commission for a few months.  My hair was getting ridiculously long and unhealthy looking so   I went to a random local place and had someone cut it. I felt a little like I was cheating on my sister.  The girl who cut my hair was so kind, she even asked if the cape was too tight. There are lots of perks to having your sister as a stylist but a gentle brushing is not one of them.  So thanks to the girl who cut my hair and was so kind the entire time even though she knew I wouldn't be a regular customer.

Comments

  1. Haha~ cheating on my hairstylist, who is my sister-in-law is something I worry about too! I'm glad you fit in some time for yourself, you have cute hair, and I'm confident you'll find time for those writing assessments:) We always do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so great that you had some me time! I've been running low on that lately... and I'm trying to figure out a way to fit more of it in. :-) Sounds like a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to find balance. Yesterday I was in a non teaching group and a non teacher spoke of how overwhelmed she was at the 10 hour days she was working. I had a hard time feeling sympathetic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can certainly relate to the "balance" thing. It's hard to fit it all in. Something always takes a backseat and unfortunately it's usually something at home or ourselves. Good for you! You made time for yourself! Don't feel guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh...this has been on my mind lately as I feel exhausted from trying to balance. Thanks for capturing this so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree! Find the balance is not easy!! I'm so glad you spent the day on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you figure out the secret to finding balance, please let me know. It seems like balance gets more elusive every year. Shouldn't it be getting easier??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes it's delightful to go heavy on the me time. Love your fun day, glad you got a cute haircut, enjoy your juice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems like every teacher I know struggles with this. Good for you for tipping the scale your way today!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dynamic Teaching For Deeper Reading Reflection 1

Summer Possibilities

PB 10 for 10