Is it home?

Tonight I'm in Kentucky at my parents house. It the house I lived in from the time I was 10 to 18. It's the house my friends came to and prom pictures were taken. It's where I got ready for countless band practices, had family dinner every night and played many games on Family Game Night. Is this home? This is the place where the cupboards are stocked with all the delicious food I refuse to buy and we talk for hours about everything. I come here several times a year to open arms but is it home?

I have a home of my own now, it's a work in progress but it's nice. We've lived there for two years and love being there is that my home?

I thought about this a lot on my drive this evening (I think a lot on drives). Then I walked in the door here and realized this is home. This place has the memories and the love built it. Years of it are seeped into the walls.

My new home is a blank slate waiting for the years of memories and love to overtake it. Both of these places are equally important but one will always have part of my heart.

It's good to be home.

Comments

  1. Nicole, such a thoughtful post. I've lived away from home for thirty years. Yet when I go back for a visit to my hometown (my parents are both deceased), I'm home! I love your idea that years of memories and love are seeped into the walls (and I would have to add, into our geographic homes).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, "Both of these places are equally important but one will always have part of my heart." Your family gave you the blue-print on how to create and build your own memories in your present home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truer words were never spoken. Even now, where my parents live (and I grew up) will always be home for me. But you said it so eloquently - your other home is where you're building new memories. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often visit the home I grew up in in my dreams. It will always be a part of home, but now home is where my husband and dog are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel just the way you do. Although my husband and I have been in our house for almost 3 years now (similar to you!), and it's certainly home, my parents' house still feels like home as well. So many memories there, and it still feels so full of love when we visit. (Which we are going to do this evening, in fact!) A beautiful description of the way both places can be "home"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the feeling of being home too. Your appreciation for being home helped me appreciate it as well. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Possibilities

DIY Literacy Reflection 1 #cyberPD

PB 10 for 10