What is in the box?

A teacher friend emailed me a couple of weeks ago asking for my address. She said she was cleaning out her bookshelves and thought some books would work well in my classroom. I was floored! Of course I'll jump at any chance to get new books. Friday, I came home to a GIANT box of books on my porch...I had trouble lifting it. I couldn't wait to get it inside so I perched myself on the concrete and dove in. I Pulled book after book out of the box. It was A-MA-ZING.

I couldn't wait to get the books to school yesterday for the kids to see. Kindergartners notice everything, I mean everything, so when they walked in and their was a big box on the reading table they freaked out.
-What's in the box?
-I see books everybody!
-Whats under the books? Me-more books (sly smile)
-You mean there are books all the way to the bottom?!
-Do you think there is a Dinosaur book in there? (from my dinosaur expert, there was one)
-I bet there is a book about animals.


I left that box there for a while ( for a kindergartner...eternity) I waiting until almost 2:00 to mention the box again. They kids were putting away their writing and I casually ( but not so gracefully) picked up the box and took it to the center of the carpet. I sat there and waiting for them to notice. Then it started...
-Guys, it's book time!
-The books are out!!
-Yay! We get to look at the new books!

They were sitting so close to me I couldn't get the flaps of the box open. I slowly opened the box building their excitement. One at a time, I took the books out, read the title and handed it to a student. We had to close the door they were squealing so loud with excitement. After everyone had a book, I put the rest on the floor in between students. The squeals stopped and there was a buzz of kindergartners looking at pictures, reading a few words, sharing things they found and generally enjoying themselves. You know your in my class when 5 and 6 year olds are saying things like "I love the way new books smell.", "this is the best day ever!", and "can we take these home tonight?"

Before they left, several books were already in mailboxes ready to go home to share with families. The teacher who sent these books knows better than any of us the power of reading and I'm sure my kids would have made her smile. I just hope she knows the impact she had and will continue to have on these kids who have few books at home. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!


*I have pictures of the kids and their books but I do not have permission to post them.

Comments

  1. How fun for your kids to explore the books in this community way! What a great friend to send you these books. I love the way the kids were curious but you just waited until the right moment to share the books. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This had me smiling from ear to ear! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have goosebumps right now! I love the way you shared that amazing box of books from that amazing friend. Happy reading, K friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! You really captured your students' enthusiasm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just awesome. Thank you for capturing such a beautiful K moment. I am so happy for you and for your students!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only imagine the excitement you had in receiving this gift of books. Your description of the kids made even more exciting. What a great friend you have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fabulous! What a delightful day, Nicole. I could just hear the squeals of joy coming from your classroom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Possibilities

DIY Literacy Reflection 1 #cyberPD

PB 10 for 10