Relinquishing Control

As a lot of teachers are, I'm the kind of person who likes things planned, orderly and under control. Opposite of that...I teach kindergarten. There have been many times I've had to take deep breaths and let the kids take control of learning or conversations. Even though I know this is what's best for kids it's not always easy to give up that control to 5 and 6 year olds.

This year, I've really tried to let the kids determine many thing in the classroom from supplies they use to where they sit to work. Then last night during #kinderchat on Twitter @erocklewitz said "My kiddos can sit on their bottoms or lie on their bellies in their spots". Of course I want my kids to be comfortable when learning but it had never occurred to me that sitting cris-cross was not the best way to go for all kids. There's my mistake right there...I tried to apply 1 thing to all kids.

It seems so simple. I sit how I'm comfortable why can't they?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dynamic Teaching For Deeper Reading Reflection 1

Summer Possibilities

PB 10 for 10