Pete the Cat Rocking in My School Shoes


For several of my students, kindergarten is their first school experience.  Many of them have had limited exposure to books, so the first book I read to them has to be special.  I'd been hearing about Pete the Cat all summer so when I had a gift card to spend both books were on the top of my list.  I read the books and listened to the songs and really liked them.  Then I read and listened again and I liked them more.  Eventually, I couldn't get the songs out of my head and thought maybe I'd found the book that would start their school experience.
Yesterday was our first day of school and after the parents and tears were gone we sat on the carpet and read Pete the Cat Rocking in My School Shoes by Eric Litwin.  The kids loved it and starting singing along immediately.  THEN, I took out my iPad and let them listen to the story and song...they were hooked.  They were singing Pete all day long.  We listen to the song several times. 


When we returned from recess someone noticed that there was another Pete the Cat book.  They begged me to read it (who am I to deny kids begging for books).  We read Pete the Cat I Love my School Shoes also by Eric Litwin and listened to the song.  They loved it just as much.

I'm so glad that on our first day of kindergarten my kids were already begging for books.  It is now my job to keep up the enthusiasm for the rest of the year. 

Comments

  1. Sounds like a perfect first day. I am not looking forward to being that parent next fall:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great day. The parents do usually have a harder time than the kids, it'll be ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete is rocking my room too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole,
    How can you go wrong with Pete the Cat? I have to admit I'm a bit jealous that you have an iPad at your fingertips in your classroom.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a versatile blogger!

    http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2011/09/were-versatile-bloggers.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dynamic Teaching For Deeper Reading Reflection 1

Summer Possibilities

PB 10 for 10