The second book I read last week was Hooway For Wodney Wat by Helen Lester. This is a story about a rat who can't pronounce his Rrs. His peers make fun of him and repeatedly ask him to pronounce words that have Rrs in them. When Camilla Capybara moves to their school the unlikely Wodney has a chance to become the hero.

I used this story during Friendship Week to talk about how we are all different. We talked about how we are all good at some things and not so good at others. I then strategically placed the kids so that they were sitting by someone they wouldn't have chosen on their own. Each kid had to write something nice about the person next to them. I was surprised by some of the creativity. Some of my favorite responses were "I like the way _____ talks" about a girl with a very distinct voice, "I like the way _____ writes", "I like that ____ is helpful", I could keep going. The kids were very kind and creative.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Possibilities

DIY Literacy Reflection 1 #cyberPD

PB 10 for 10