Ish

If I could pick only one book to have in my classroom this would be it.  That's a bold statement from someone who spends hours combing over books at the library, online and in other classrooms.  A friend of mine introduced me to this book and I've loved it since the first read.

This is a story about Ramon a boy who loves to draw.  When his older brother makes fun of his drawing Ramon gets discouraged and starts throwing everything away that isn't "perfect".  Little does Ramon know his little sister is covering her bedroom walls with his discarded art.  She calls them "ish" because they are kind of like the real thing.  This changes Ramon's whole view and opens up his world to new possibilities.

This book changed the whole culture in my classroom, especially in writing.  Kindergartners have a tendency to want to spell everything just the way adults would.  This book freed my students to spell and draw things to the best of their ability "ish".  I use that word everyday and encourage my student's parents to use it too.  This simple book and the simple word "ish"  has solidified the idea that as long as the kids try their best that is all I'll ever ask of them. Thank you Peter H. Reynolds for writing such a powerful book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dynamic Teaching For Deeper Reading Reflection 1

Summer Possibilities

PB 10 for 10